AKWA IBOM STATE EPIC PROJECT QUALITY ASSURANCE QUALITY IMPROVEMENT(QAQI):
Implementation at a Glance
AN AKWA IBOM STATE EPIC ACTIVITY 2 SUCCESS STORY
The Akwa Ibom state QAQI team was borne out of the need to entrench Continuous Quality improvements and Quality Assurance in the SIDHAS project. The QAQI team was to take the AKSO SIDHAS team from a state of informal/ad hoc quality improvement activities to a formal agency wide quality improvement initiative and develop a culture of quality across all supported facilities. The team resumed on the 16th December 2019.
GOAL: Establish the culture of Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) across Epic project supported sites and ensure quality of care through consistent capacity building.
To achieve ≥95% SIMS assessment score for all supported sites assessed.
- Define Standards of Care: Standards of HIV care are defined by the national guidelines and donor strategic guidance, the QA QI team promotes the understanding and implementation of HIV prevention, care, and treatment according to defined standards.
- Measure the quality of care: Routinely measure experience and technical quality of care, to collate data to identify gaps in attaining expected standards of care.
- Analyze performance: The QA QI team distills data from quality assessment and program data for use in developing QI initiatives. Data analysis will reveal areas that need improvement
- Improve the quality of care: Develop improvement options towards improving performance and follow through on agreed improvement strategies.
- Control improvements in quality of care: Facilitate sustainability, spread, and scale-up of QI initiatives through the following: training, knowledge management, documenting and sharing QA QI learnings through research, presentation, success stories, and activity reports.